Candidate and Treasurer Training: How to Report Paid Communications
The Office of Political Practices hosted a training for 2020 candidates and treasurers on reporting social media expenses on December 5, 2019.
The training covered:
1. The Candidate’s Obligation to Know and Follow Montana Law
2. How to Report an Expenditure for a Paid Communication
- How to Report an Individual Social Media Ad
- How to Report Multiple Social Media Ads
- How to Report Social Media Ads Managed by a Third-Party Vendor
3. How to Include an Addendum with an Expenditure
4. Attribution (Paid for By) Requirements
6. Attendee Questions
It is the candidate’s responsibility and obligation to understand and comply with all Montana campaign finance laws. While COPP staff is available to provide information and support to all candidates and treasurers, again, it is the candidate who is responsible for ensuring the campaign complies with all campaign finance requirements. Any expenditure activity –including social media ad buys—must be reported as detailed in 13-37-229(2), MCA and 44.11.502, ARM.