Do you plan to lobby?
If so, first review and know all the information on this 2021 Lobbying Guide, which includes information on how to register, details on required financial reports, and more. Then check out our Lobbying FAQs for answers to popular questions!
Register and File L-5 Financial Reports
Click the green button above to access the lobbying database to register as a lobbyist or principal, and submit L-5 reports
- L-5 Lobbying Financial Report guide, PDF guide
- Digital PDF L-5 lobbying financial report (can be mailed to emailed to the COPP)
- Reporting Calendars
- Forms for Lobbyists and Principals
- All lobbying reports are uploaded and publicly accessible in one of two databases. One database stores lobbying reports that are submitted digitally via the Principal and Lobbyist Online Reporting System. These digital reports from 2009-2021 can be found in our Principal and Lobbyist Online Reporting System. Reports that are filed as paper hard copies or are emailed or faxed are available on our 2009-2021 digitized hard copy platform.
Laws, Rules, and Complaint Information
- Lobbying Laws (MCA)
- Lobbying Administrative Rules (ARM)
- Docket of Formal Complaints
- Complaint Procedure
- Advisory Opinions
Post-Session Lobbying Report Due Dates
1-Possible reports: After the session, any time $5,000 or more is spent on lobbying activities in a single month, an L-5 must be filed on the 15th of the following month. The report must also retroactively include any previous expenses from months were $5,000 or more was NOT spent. For example, if a principal spends $2,000 in June and $5,000 in July, they must file a monthly L-5 on August 15th. This report would cover all June and July expenses and activity. Please see MCA 5-7-208. If $5,000 is not spent in a single month after the legislative session concludes, an L-5 Year End Session Report is required to be filed by February 15, 2020. All post-session lobbying activity and expenses must be disclosed in this L-5 report. Please see MCA 5-7-208.
2- Required report: February 15, 2020: Year-end Session L-5 report required if any lobbying activity or expenses occurred during the 2019 session or after the 2019 session's adjournment. If a principal terminated their lobbyist by the end of the legislative session, and no other lobbyists are active, this report is not required. If a principal does not have any lobbying activity after the legislative session and they did not terminate all lobbyists by the end of the session, they must file the L-5 Year End Session Report stating that no activity or expenses occurred. Please see MCA 5-7-208.
Lobbying Guides for Government Employees
- General Lobbying Guide for Government Employees
- 2019 State Agency Employee Lobbying Guide
Lobbyist and Principal Forms
Form L-1, Lobbyist Application
Form L-2, Principal Authorization Statement
Form L-3, Principal Registration Application
Form L-5, Lobbying Financial Report
Lobbying License Fee Waiver Request
List of Registered Principals and Lobbyists for
2021-2022 Excel sheet or PDF with 2021-2022 registered principals and lobbyists (and L-5 dates)
2019-2020 Excel sheet or PDF with 2019-2020 registered principals and lobbyists (and L-5 dates)